School of Life Sciences
Yogi Vemana University College
Kadapa –516 003
Phone: 08562 – 225426 (Office)
The Department of Biotechnology is involved in active research mainly in frontier areas of Functional Genomics, Molecular Genetics and Plant Molecular biology. Work is in progress, for dissecting the genetically controlled and very important complex trait of drought tolerance, Root architecture using different Bioinformatics, Functional Genomic and Molecular Genetics approaches. Our Department is also engaged in developing different transgenic approaches to improve photosynthesis under Abiotic stress conditions in agronomically important crops with regional relevance.
Apart from the active research in understanding drought tolerance trait and improving Abiotic stress tolerance capacity of agronomically important crops, our Department has collaboration with Intra Schools and inter departmental, mainly working on identification and formulating the active components in some important local flora with medicinal value in long go. Discussions are in progress with other Departments, Schools of Life Sciences in other Universities and Institutions to collaborate in various aspects in areas of Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering and Molecular Medicine.
- To deveop trained manpower in the areas of Genetic Engineering, Molecular Genetics, Microbial & Industrial Biotechnology, Plant Biotechnology and Animal Biotechnology
- To carry out prime research in the different areas of Plant Biotechnology and Functional Genomics, stress biology with emphasis on drought tolerance in crop plants, cereals and small millets with regional relevance.
- Bioprospecting and Bioassay of medicinal plants, Bio-pesticides, Bio-fertilizers, and Bio-fuels
- To impart training to graduate teachers in modern techniques of Biotechnology and to conduct extension Programmes for farmers, to develop awareness on modern agriculture methods and practises.
|Name of the Faculty||Designation||Specialization|
|Dr. P.Chandramati Shankar||Professor||Plant Biotechnology|
|Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar||Assistant professor & Co-ordinator||Plant Molecular Genetics & Functional Genomics|
Equipment : Electrophoresis Units, Double Beam Spectrophotometer, High end configuration computers with internet access, Cooling centrifuges, High speed centrifuge, Gel documentation system, Transilluminator, Double distillation plants, pH meters, Autoclave, Incubators shaker, Freezers, Microscopes, Laminar airflow, PCR machines in central lab, etc.,
Library: Excellent Foreign Editions in the field of Genetic Engineering, Molecular and Cell Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, Immunology, Computational Biology and Recombinant DNA Technology etc., are available to the Departmental students. (Maintained in the University Library)
Transgenic Glass House Facility – for growing transgenic plants that will be developed in the Department by various research activities.
Net House Facility – for growing and maintaining common crop plants like cereals, millets and pulses.
Common Botanical Garden Facility – for collection and maintenance of useful germplasm for various crops and other plant species that have invaluable utility in the area of Plant Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering programs.
- 11 of our students cleared SLET (State Lecture Eligibility Test – 2012) which is one of the greatest achievements of the former students (student alumni) of the Department of Biotechnology
- Mr. M. Brahmaiah cleared Hyderabad Central University, Research Entrance and Joined HCU for his Ph.D.,
- Mr. M. Brahmaiah cleared CSIR-NET for the year 2013.
- Dr. T. Krishnaveni was a postdoctoral fellow in association with Dr. Eleftheria Myloankis, Division of Infectious Diseases, Massachusetts, Boston from 2010 - 2011.
- Students selected by Indian Academy of Sciences(B’galore) for Summer fellowship at Central University Hyderabad and at CCMB, Hyderabad for the year 2011.
- INSPIRE FELLOWSHIP (H. Fathima Nazneen) – for the year 2010 – 2011
- Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (Mr. B. Arun Kumar Naik for the year 2012-2013)
- Poster presentation at National Seminar on Applications of Microbes in Management of Agriculture and Environment (N.Rajesh, S.Subbarayudu, K.Venugopal and P.Prashant Reddy) organized by Department of Microbiology, Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur.
- Students cleared GATE for year 2009 – 2010 and 2010 - 2011
- Students (Mr P.Ramesh and M. Bramhaiah) selected by BIOTECH CONSORTIUM INDIA LIMITED for Biotech Industrial Training program 2010-11 (sponsored by Department of Biotechnology,Government of India) trained at SHANTA BIOTECH,Hyderabad, S4 BIO,Hyderabad. For the year 2009 – 2010.
- Faculty presented lectures as resource persons for orientation course for Junior college Lecturers 2010.
- Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar has One National MoU with Centromere Biosolutions Pvt Ltd of 501, Subhan Sirisampada, Rajbhavan Road, Somajiguda, Hyderabad, - 500 082, A.P., India here and after referred as CENBIOS which includes its affiliate company Vibha Agrotech Ltd (VAL) to collaborate in the areas of Plant Molecular Genetics and Functional Genomics
- Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar has a active Research collaboration with Advanced Centre for Biotechnological Research, University of Agricultural Sciences, Gandhi Krishi Vignana Kendra (GKVK), Bangalore to work jointly
|S.No||Name of Coordinator/ Principal Investigator (PI) Co-PI/ Investigator||Name of the Project||Sponsoring Agency||Duration||Total Outlay of the Projects (Rs.)|
|1||Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar Principal Investigator||Molecular Tagging of Tobacco Streak Virus gene: Screening Sunflower for Resistance to Tobacco Streak Virus and Mapping the TSV Resistance Gene||Vibha Agrotech, Ltd, Hyderabad.||Two year 2009 - 2011||5,00,000-00|
|2||Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar Principal Investigator||Molecular tagging of stress tolerant small millet varieties and development of genetic and genomic resources for molecular breeding||Agri Science Project, Yogi Vemana University||Two year 2010 - 2012||2,50,000-00|
|3||Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar Co-Principal Investigator||Development of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) transgenics carrying HD-START and DREB1F transcription factors for improved abiotic stress tolerane||Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (C.S.I.R), Govt. of India, New Delhi||Three years||20,00,000 -00|
|4||Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar Co-Principal Investigator||Phytoremediation of Uranium enriched soils: Molecular, Biochemical and Transgenic approach||Department of Biotechnology (D.B.T), Govt. of India, New Delhi||Three years||25,00,000 -00|
|5||Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar Co-Principal Investigator||Development of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea, L.) transgenics carrying HD-START transcription factor for improved drought stress tolerance||Department of Science and Technology (D.S.T), Govt. of India, New Delhi||Three years||26,60,000 -00|
|6||Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar Co-Principal Investigator||Screening of small millets for abiotic stress tolerance: A physiological approach||Agri Science Project, Yogi Vemana University||Two years 2010 - 2012||1,50,000-00|
|7||DR. P. Chandramati Shankar Principal Investigator||Micropropagation of Medicinally important plant(caesalpinnia sappan.L) for arid region||Agri Science Project, Yogi Vemana University||Two years 2010 - 2012||1,50,000-00|
|8||DR. P. Chandramati Shankar Co-Principal Investigator||Biodiversity Assessment and Bioprospection of lichens in Rayalaseema Forests of Andhra Pradesh, India.||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi||Three years 2012-2015||25,00,000-00|
|9||DR. P. Chandramati Shankar Co-Principal Investigator||Production of Transgenic groundnut (Arachis hypogea) carrying Arabidopsis phytochrome A and B for enhancement of yield||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi||Three years 2012-2015||19,00,000-00|
Mr. D. L. Venkataswamy Reddy, memorial Gold Medal for overall topper in M. Sc., Biotechnology
Mr. D. L.Venkataswamy Reddy Gold Medal to Miss. H. Fathima Nazneen For the Year 2007 - 2009
Mr. D. L.Venkataswamy Reddy Gold Medal to Mr. C. Nagendra For the Year 2008 - 2010
Mr. D. L.Venkataswamy Reddy Gold Medal to Miss. Y. Hima Bindu For the Year 2009 - 2011
|Name of the Research Scholar||Research Area/ Topic||Name of the Supervisor|
|Ms. K. Sravani||Phytoremediation of Uranium: Physiological, Biochemical, Molecular and Transgenic Approach||Dr. T. Krishna Veni|
|Ms. H. Fathima Nazneen||Induction and establishment of hairy root culture and studies on production of secondary metabolites in a medicinal plant using Agrobacterim rhizogenes.||Dr. P. Chandramati Shankar|
|Mr. P. Ramesh||Physiological, Biochemical & Molecular screening of foxtail millet (Seteria italica L.) germ plasm for abiotic stress tolerance.||Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar|
|Mr. B. Arun Kumar Naik||In vitro micro propagation and screening of Genetic fidelity using molecular markers in Caesalpinia sappan L.||Dr. P. Chandramati Shankar|
|Mr. J. Vijaya Naresh (Extramural)||Genetic transformation of rice (Oryza sativa L.) for enhancing abiotic stress tolerance.||Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar(Co-Supervisor)|
- One of the Actively Associate for conducting two days International Seminar on Plant Biotechnology and Genomics Towards A New Green Revolution (ISPPG2009) from 6th – 7th, February, 2009
- Organized a Public Debate on “Biotechnology: Pros and Cons” on 31st January, 2011 (a joint event with Department of Botany, Yogi Vemana University)
- “On-Site” workshop on “Advances in Computational Genomics” that was going to organized by Madurai Kamaraj University UGC-Networking Resource Centre in Biological Sciences in collaboration with Yogi Vemana University, Kadapa (AP., INDIA) at Yogi Vemana University, Kadapa from 13th – 20th February, 2012.
- Organized a National Seminar on “Recent Trends in “Omics” on 19th – 20th March, 2012 (a joint event with Department of Genetics and Genomics and Department of Biotechnology & Bioinformatics)
Students Allumini of the Department are placed in various prestigious International Organizations like ICRISAT, Hyderabad, private organizations like VIBHA BIOTECH, Hyderabad, ITC Bangalore, Aurbindo Pharma, Mupiko pharma company Hyderabad., Bharath Serum and Biologicals, Limited Hyderabad. Cipla Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Goa
Dr. T. Krishnaveni has visited , Massachusetts, Boston as postdoctoral fellow in association with Dr. Eleftheria Myloankis, Division of Infectious Diseases from 2010 - 2011.
Dr. P. Chandramati Shankar is Life Member in Indian Society for Technical Education, New Delhi; Indian Science Congress, Kolkatta and Association of Biotechnology and Pharmacy, A.P.,