Yogi Vemana University,
Kadapa – 516 003
Material Science and Nanotechnology is an emerging multi-disciplinary field related with application of science, engineering and technology to develop novel materials and study of their properties with dimensions reduced to nano-scale level. This department offers 2 year full time M.Sc. in Materials Science and Nanotechnology. The eligibility to take admission into this course is B.Sc. with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
The course curriculum includes fundamentals of physics and chemistry, polymer, ceramic, composite, semiconductor and catalytic materials. It also includes methods of preparation of nanomaterials, properties of materials both bulk as well as nanomaterials, nano-devices and technologies, analytical and advanced characterization techniques, applications of nanomaterials. Along with theory, laboratory courses on different aspects of material science and nanotechnology are also incorporated.
In addition to theory and lab courses, the curriculum also includes an internal project work in the 4th semester leading to dissertation and viva voce. Apart from regular curriculum, summer projects works will also be arranged depending on the interest of the students at central institutes/universities. This program is designed to enrich knowledge and skills and produce highly employable post graduates.
This department also offers full time Ph.D course on different specializations such as nano- catalysis, magnetic and ferroelectric materials, polymeric materials, synthesis of nanomaterials etc depending on the specialization of the faculty members.
|Name of the Faculty||Designation||Specialization|
|Dr.M.V.Shankar||Associate Professor||Heterogeneous Catalysis, Nanomaterials, Solar energy|
|Dr.N.Rama Manohar Reddy||Assistant Professor||Magnetic and ferroelectric materials|
|Dr.B.Vijaya Kumar Naidu||Assistant Professor & Co-Ordinator||Polymeric materials, Nanomaterials Polymer photovoltaics|
|Dr.S.Adi Narayana Reddy||Assistant Professor||Nanomaterial synthesis, Synthesis of transition active metal complexes and its applications and Synthesis and purification of heavy/radioactive metal ions|
|Ms.Mamatha Kumari||Assistant Professor||Nanomaterial synthesis, Carbon nanotubes and Energy applications|
- Dr.M.V.Shankar was awarded ‘Visiting Scientist’ of JSPS-DST Exploratory Exchange under JCIS program in 2011.
- Ms.M.Mamatha Kumari was awarded INSPIRE fellowship by Department of Science & Technology (DST), New Delhi in 2010.
- Dr.B.Vijaya Kumar Naidu, was awarded Youg Scientist Project by Department of Science & Technology (DST), New Delhi in 2010.
|Title of the Research Projects||Funding Agency and Budget||Duration of the Project|
|Development of Semiconductor Nanocomposites for Photo Catalytic Water Splitting into H2 and O2 under Solar Llight Irradiation||Ministry of New Renewable Energy (MNRE), New Delhi Rs. 35 Lakhs||2011-2014 (3 years)|
|Development of Hydrophilic, Hydrophobic Based Polymeric Membrane for Pervaporation Separation Application.||D.S.T New Delhi Rs.17.6 Lakhs||2011-2014 (3 years)|
|Nanostructured TiO2 Incorporated Polymer Nanocomposite Membranes for Pervaporation Separation application||U.G.C, New Delhi Rs. 9.7 Lakhs||2013-2016 (3 years)|
|Development of Nano-adsorbents for The Removal of Heavy Metal Ions from Waste Water Streams||U.G.C., New Delhi Rs. 8.71 Lakhs||2013-2016 (3 year)|
|Name of the Students||Research Topic||Name & Academic Qualifications of the Research supervisor|
|D. Praveen Kumar||Nano photo-catalysis for water-splitting||Dr. M. V. Shankar, M.Sc. Ph.D|
|A. Viswadevarayalu||Synthesis of Nanomaterials||Dr. S. Adinarayana Reddy, M.Sc. Ph.D.|
|S. Siva Shankar||Polymer membranes/ nanosystems||Dr. B. Vijaya Kumar Naidu,M.Sc (Tech), Ph.D|
|P. VenkataRamaa||Removal of metal ions||Dr. S. Adinarayana Reddy, M.Sc. Ph.D.|
|P. Bhavani||Magnetic Nanomaterials||Dr. N. Ramamanohar Reddy, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D|
|C. Raja Babu||Magnetic Nanomaterials||Dr. N. Ramamanohar Reddy,M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D|
|B. VenkataRamana||Polymer nanosystems /membranes||Dr. B. Vijaya Kumar Naidu, M.Sc (Tech), Ph.D|
1st Year (1st Semester 2013-15) : 24 (admitted)
- Guest lecture has been delivered by Dr. S. Saravanamurugan, Senior Researcher, Technical University of Denmark on “Carbohydrates to lactic acid derivatives using heterogeneous catalysis” in September 2010
- Guest lecture has been delivered by Dr. S. Rangaraj, Visiting Professor, Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat on “Nanotechnology in Environmental green chemistry” in Aug 2011
- Guest lecture delivered by Dr. (Mrs.) V. Durga Kumari, Chief Scientist, IICT, Hyderabad in August 2012 on “Applications of photo-catalysis for energy and Environment”
- Guest lecture delivered by Dr. S. Sakthivel, Senior Scientist, ARCI, Hyderabad on “Applications of Nanomaterials for Solar Energy Conversion” in March 2012
- Guest lecture delivered by Dr. T. Chandrasekharam, Sciensit, IICT, Hyderabad on “Dye sensitized solar cells” in March 2012
- Organized one day seminar sponsored by UGC, New Delhi on “ Emerging Trends in Nanotechnology” on 21st March 2012